Memorial Day exercises on the Training Green, circa 1943
Decoration Day, which we now know as
Memorial Day, started in 1868. Kingston’s first documented observance was 1879, with formal Town funding starting in 1881. Stop by the Library to see photographs of Memorial Day parades dating back over a century.
Source: Mary Hathaway Collection MC21
For more, visit the Kingston Public Library, and the Local History Room, and the full blog at piqueoftheweek.wordpress.co
Town House by Emily Fuller Drew, no date
Emily Fuller Drew captured what feels like the deep cooling shade of a summer afternoon in these two photos. A familiar scene, yes, but the quality of the light makes something special of it.
Training Green and Civil War Soldiers Monument by Emily Fuller Drew, no date
Source: Emily Fuller Drew Collection MC16, negatives scanned by the Digital Commonwealth/Boston Public Library.
For more, visit the
Kingston Public Library, and the Local History Room, and the full blog at piqueoftheweek.wordpress.com.